Early Childhood Outreach Services
Utilizing the Thompson Child Development Center as a best-practices model, Thompson Early Childhood Outreach Services mentors more than 100 early childhood programs by offering: behavior intervention, program quality support, professional trainings, technical assistance, specialized therapy and parent support to early childhood providers, children and families throughout Mecklenburg, Union and Cabarrus counties in North Carolina.
The focus of our Early Childhood Outreach Services is to promote school readiness through social, emotional skill development and assisting centers in creating and sustaining high-quality learning environments.
Program highlights from 2014-2015
- More than 90 trainings offered for Early Childhood professionals in Union, Cabarrus and Mecklenburg counties.
- More than 800 Early Childhood professionals attended trainings.
- Provided technical assistance to more than 466 Early Childhood professionals.
- Provided intervention and support to more than 200 children and their families participating in Early Childhood Outreach programs.
- Currently partnering with: Smart Start of Mecklenburg County, Cabarrus Partnership for Children, Alliance for Children of Union County and Bethlehem Center Head Start.
Did you know...
- Preschool children are getting expelled at 3 times the rate of kids in K-12 settings due to challenging behaviors*
- Boys are almost 5 times as likely as girls to be expelled*
- Research shows that preschool children with appropriate social skills and emotional regulation are better prepared for school, are more likely to succeed, and less likely to get expelled*
- High quality early childhood programs increase graduation rates by as much as 44%**
*Courtesy of American Psychological Association/Psychology Benefits Society, a blog from the APA Public Interest Directorate
**Courtesy of The First 2,000 Days, an initiative of the North Carolina Early Childhood Foundation.
For more information about Thompson Early Childhood Outreach Services, please contact QuWanya Thompson at 704-817-1615.
To learn more about county-specific services, see the tabs below.